Expert Advice On Academic Writing: Common Mistakes To Avoid
When you are tasked with writing an essay there are a few academic mistakes you want to avoid:
- Avoid putting it off until the last minute. You might not want to delve right in because you don’t know what direction you want to take yet but it is important that you at least start your preliminary research on time. If you put it off until the last minute you might find that all of the good books on the topic are checked out already especially if your entire class was given the same assignment topic.
- Avoid skimming the details. Take time to carefully examine your task and the assignment details or instructions. You don’t want to end up with a bad grade because you failed to pick up on the fact that your paper has to cover folk artists from the 1800’s and you wrote about a folk artist in 1950. By reading the assignment carefully you can avoid fatal mistakes like this.
- Avoid skipping the editing process. Never skip your editing phase. This is imperative to catching the small errors that drop your grade.
- Avoid picking a topic that you don’t like. If you are given the change to pick your topic make sure it is something you actually like. This is a great opportunity to learn and if you pick just any old topic you will not be passionate about it and because of that you won’t be motivated to do well.
If you are looking for a controversial topic you can focus your writing on gender issues. Consider the following topics:
- Do parents expect more or demand more of their daughters versus their sons?
- Are schools--with the long hours sitting still--designed more for girls?
- Do girls have too much pressure placed on them to maintain the ideal body?
- Should photoshopped images be gotten rid of because of how they make people feel?
- Should it be acceptable to whistle or cat call women on the street?
- Should fraternities be banned because of their promotion of misogyny?
- What measures can be taken to help combat sexual violence against females?
- Should more females assume leadership roles?
- Can equal rights for men and women be possible?
- Can something be done to get more females into the fields of science?